photographs of Bletchingley bowling Club circa. 1929
to follow soon.
Bletchingley Bowling Club History
The Club was
founded in 1929 and is based at Grange Meadow, Bletchingley
on the A25 opposite “The Plough” Pub/Restaurant. Grange
Meadow was gifted by a local resident Mr E W Blessig to
the people of Bletchingley for the playing of cricket,
tennis and bowls.
The Club was officially opened by Mr Blessig on 6th July
1929, with an opening game between Mr Blessig’s team and
Dr. Robertson’s team. Dr Robertson was the local GP and
was the Club’s President for a number of years ably supported
by several well known businessmen. The Club was affiliated
at this time to the English Bowling Association (now Bowls
England) and the Surrey County Bowling Association.
With the advent of the Second World War the bowls pavilion
and four rinks were requisitioned for use as a first aid
post and A.R.P. centre, but the Club carried on as best
it could limited to the use of two rinks. From 1940 to
the early 1950’s the Club was “kept in being” thanks to
a very small band of members, including ladies.
There are no recorded minutes from the AGM held on 9th
June 1951 up to a General Meeting held on 20th April 1955
at which the Chairman congratulated the few “who had kept
the Club alive during the past few difficult years”. From
1955 the Club began to come to life with an influx of
new members and much hard work was put in by everyone
to bring back to condition the six rinks which had suffered
badly during the previous 15 years.
In 1965 the first small extension to the Clubhouse was
completed – this was mainly financed by the local council
and meant that the members could sit down to tea with
the visiting teams. 1967 proved to be outstanding in the
Club’s history – the Bar was opened on 16th December amidst
great enthusiasm – and a second hand bar, fittings and
the necessary stock purchased by means of members loans
amounting to a grand total of £115.
1969 saw the founding of the Ladies section and their
affiliation to the County – in 1970 the Club joined the
London and Southern Counties Bowling Association and in
1974 the second extension to the Clubhouse was officially
opened by the Surrey County President
Bob Blow on 26th April. In 1998 a Lottery Sports Fund
grant enabled the Club to build a new men’s changing room
with facilities for disabled bowlers, as an extension
to the main Clubhouse.
Over the years the Club has been successful in both Men
and Ladies County competitions with a number of members
winning their County Badges. Brian
Rogers reached the final of the London and Southern Counties
Gold Badge Singles Competition in 2009 and Mike Stone
the semi-finals of the Surrey County Bowling Association’s
Champion of Champion’s Singles Competition in 2011. The
Club were also honoured to have Norman Bagley, one of
its long standing members, serving as President of the
Surrey County Bowling Association for the 2001 season.
two members qualified for their Surrey County Badges -
Gavin Pocock for reaching the quarter finals of the County
Pairs competition and Brian Rogers for reaching the quarter
finals of the County Unbadged Singles competition. In
2016 Peter Lines reached the Semi-final of the Unbadged
singles adding to the number of Club members who already
have their County Badges.
Committee are all committed to the future of this great
Club and all of our planned recruiting initiatives can
be found on the News Page.
site is copyright © Bletchingley Bowling Club